Wintery blasts sweeping in from the Russian steppes couldn’t stop me from attending the Kempton auto jumble. My goodness it was cold. It was wet as well. The weather couldn’t decide between freezing rain and frozen rain but there was an icy wind blowing straight up the trouser leg.
Considering the weather there was a good turnout, it seems that people travel from all over Europe to these events, I chatted to a Dutch couple and spent a while discussing the merits of 1960’s BMW’s with a chap from Germany. I can’t say that I was surprised when there wasn’t a stall dedicated to selling parts for obscure 1980’s Honda agricultural motor cycles imported from distant lands, but there were enough pattern bits available to merit a trip to the next one, when of course Little Project will be in build mode rather than rusting mode.
Speaking of rusting, I thought I would tackle the forks this weekend. My entirely logical thinking being that I drain a bit of oil out them and whip them into the kitchen to work on in the warm. Ha. I think that the sunny optimism with which I started Little Project made a brief and untimely return. From behind the bike, right fork contained no oil. A dribble of water (actually, the tube was almost full) and the spring does not come out. left fork contained oil. I’m not overly familiar with the oil that goes into fork legs but this seemed similar in constitution to the stuff that BP carelessly poured into the Gulf of Mexico a few years back. At least the spring came out though. The fork stanchions (the shiny bits, except on Little Project of course) are held into the lower legs (the bits that get dirty) by a small allen bolt at the bottom of the lower leg. Now you’d think I’d have learned to think about these things by now but they don’t come out easily. Right one doesn’ t come out at all! everything needed to be held solidly in place whilst undoing these little rascals and the obvious thing was to put the forks back in the frame. I know that modern bikes have upside-down forks, so it seemed practical to introduce the same policy on my bike.
Sadly there is still one bolt that will not come out. I’ve WD40’d it and left it to ponder its existence. As an insurance policy, I also found a set off an old XL125 on eBay, so they will be delivered some time during the week. The positive news is that the parts from the USA have arrived and they are all the correct parts and they are clean and useable. Eventually I am going to start building this bike rather than taking rusty bits off it.