Onwards and upwards with a joyous jig and a merry tune to lighten the day. It is another rugby day in Twickenham. The Italian visitors are looking dejected before the game has even started but they do all look rather elegant. Gucci shoes to match their Azzurri shirts. I am not convinced that Pizza Hut Twickenham will be seeing many of their euro’s after the match.
Where was I? Ahh, singing and dancing. The rear brake spline thingy is slowly working its way towards the ever-increasing pile of unwanted/broken Little Project parts. So confident am I that this problem is solved that I have ordered a new one to replace it (mostly so that I know what bits I need to hack out of the frame and what bits need to stay where they are and remain unsullied by my drill).
The successful removal is obviously down to a very technical and planned procedure revolving around a shipment of 20 drill bits and 10 junior hacksaw blades. It seems that the secret of drilling through steel is slowly with much pressure and not at great speed with a light wrist. Who’d have thought it? A pilot hole went through with about 15 minutes drilling and was enlarged in no time at all. A hacksaw blade into the hole and a bit (well, quite a lot actually) of sawing later the first part of the obsticle is gone. A bonus, I only managed to break 5 drills and lose skin from one knuckle. As a reward I thought I’d treat myself to some slightly more mechanical messing and take a look at the carburettor instead.
The carb is a simple item, it takes a feed of fuel, mixes it with air and passes it into the cylinder. There is a slide attached to the throttle that regulates the amount of air (and thus the amount of fuel) and there’s a little chamber that fuel sits in ready to be processed. The chamber has a float in it to stop it filling up too much, just like the one in your toilet.
That is of course very simplified, but you get the idea. The carb is one of those spotless places where nothing gets sullied and the slightest spec of dirt can cause no end of problems. This was what the carburettor on Little Project looks like…
I think the white stuff is either the remains of some fuel or cocaine (sort of the same thing then!). The floats don’t float. The slide isn’t shown in the picture because it doesn’t slide and is stuck in the chamber of the carberettor. There should be a needle in there as well. Lord only knows where that has gone. Needless to say that there is some pretty serious work to be done on this to get it back up to scratch. Either that or it will be another month long ebay search to find a half decent one.
All in all though it has been a good weekend and progress has been made. Envigorated, I shall renew my attempts to find out more about the bike and how it ended up in the (still bloody cold) shed.