It does what it says on the tin?

I don’t get cross.   Don’t believe any of those rumours about me being a grumpy old man.   I am generally a placid fellow.  However, sometimes something shakes my tree. Let me give you an example.

I decided that assistance would be needed in removing the paint from the tank of Little Project so made my way to the paint department of our local Halfords.   For those outside the UK, Halfords is a chain store that specialise in vehicle and bicycle spares and maintenance.   It’s an obvious place to go.

Perusing the shelves I came across this.

IMG_1169

Wow!   New double strength formula AND all purpose.   And in the section of the shop that sells every different type of car paint that you can imagine.   If you’ve a 1975 banana yellow Ford Cortina they have the exact touch-up paint for you. I dipped into the slim pickings remaining in my wallet and purchased a tin.   Eager with anticipation I raced home to put on my (no longer pristine) boiler suit and watch the battle between Nitromors and petrol tank begin.

It is with some sadness that I must report that “New Double Strength Formula All Purpose Nitromors” that is purchased from the paint department of an automotive repair shop has a small line of print on the back that says “not suitable for car paint”.  What the heck is that about! Why isn’t it called “Nearly All Purpose Nitromors”?  Why is it sandwiched between “Isopon car body repair paste” and “Anti-rust primer – Grey”?  Oooh.   I could crush a grape.

I also purchased some “Hammerite rust remover gel” (tag line – Brings back to bare metal). It doesn’t.   It just makes your rust look green and shiny for about three hours.

IMG_1166

Never daunted I used a combination of a hot air gun that I didn’t know I had and a detail sander and this eventually removed most of the paint.   The rust proved a little more challenging but after an extended sanding period I was left with just some dimpled and dark metal.

IMG_1182

Which I filled.  I’ve never done any filling before, the stuff that I used probably shouldn’t be unleashed in the shed with all of the doors closed, I was high as a kite by the time I’d finished.   It made the last little bit of sanding quite an entertaining event.   After a restorative cup of tea I braved putting some primer on the tank.

IMG_1185

And I have to say that I am gob smackingly pleased with the results.  You can’t actually tell that good old “Bodgit and Scarper” has been messing around with it.  I should also say at this point that my respect for professional painters has gone up vastly.   To have the patience to do this sort of work day in and out must involve a dedication that is beyond my ken.

I am pleased to report (although it is terribly boring for this blog) that the other painting that I have done has also come out well.   As a youngster I could never get the hang of spraying things.   I suspect it is an age thing.  I debated quoting the bible here, Proverbs 19:11 (NIV), but there are so many different translations that all say something slightly different.   What I was aiming for is that as one gets older, the rashness of youth matures into a patience that can’t be imagined from the small numbers.  It’s either that or I don’t have the energy to go charging into things anymore!

That’s it for today.  If you’ve arrived at the story of Little Project by mistake because of some of the references I have made, bless you for getting to the end of this post.   There’s only another 40 or so for you to read.

Have a good week.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “It does what it says on the tin?

  1. What sander and grades of sand paper, did you use? Or did you use a Dremel? Can’t decide what I want to use on my CT125 to sand it down so thought, you did a great job, wonder what you used to do it.

    • Thanks Emma. I used 120 grade to get the rust off using a little mouse type sander and then I used 400 grade wet and dry on a sanding pad to take the filler back. I then did three layers of primer at 20 minute intervals and used 1200 grade wet and dry 24 hours later. I finished it off with 5 layers of enamel over about 3 days and then gave everything a good rubbing over with t-cut. All of the paint and primer is from rattle cans.

Please feel free to leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s