Although it is not well known, Albert Einstein was big fan of Honda CT125’s. He may even at one stage swung a leg over Little Project or at least looked at it and thought “That’s pretty knackered”. I can only think that this is why he said
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
In my opinion, the only thing that really lies in the middle of difficulty is “iffi”, (alright, it’s not slap bang in the middle and it should be spelt iffy, but you know what I mean).
I had a cunning plan – I’m pretty certain I may have said that before, but this plan was as cunning as a fox who has just been appointed head of cunning at Oxford university (I should nod to Captain Edmund Blackadder for that).
The bits of wire coming out of Little Project alternator are black, white and yellow. The bits of wire coming out of the HOAP engine of choice are yellow, pink and white. Now, I don’t know anything about alternators except that they probably alternate something. The wiring diagrams, all 14 of them, have different wires going everywhere and to be frank, they could be written in Cyrillic. Actually, there are random little diagrams that make no sense scattered through the wiring diagrams. I think I might instead have photographs of the inside of a pyramid.
Back to the cunning plan. I thought that I’d take the alternator thingy out of Little Project and use that one instead of the CB125 one that was not unreasonably sitting in the CB125 engine. This of course meant whipping Little Project engine out and flopping it onto the secondary workbench (also known as a Black and Decker workmate, I didn’t have the courage to use the kitchen table). There are four screws holding on the cover that protects the alternator. You don’t really need me to tell you what state they are in do you? You’ve been reading this long enough to know. They were the exact opposite of pristine. I’m not sure what the word is. Antipristine? Unpristine? Whatever, not healthy. Screws 1, 2 and 3 took about two hours and screw 4 took about two hours. Screw 4 was in a challenging place. Screws 1 – 3 just needed a new slot hacksawing in to them. With screw 4 I drilled a hole through it and then realised that the screw extractor snapped off somewhere in the frame back in the early days of Little Project. I happened to have a torx bit (they have a star shape on the end of them) that mostly fitted the hole so I hammered it in and hey presto!
Hey presto! Ask me – “Did you empty the oil out of the Little Project engine before you took the cover off?”, go on, ask me. You know the answer.
So, the shed floor has quite a lot of oil on it. I managed to get something to catch the bulk of it and as a hobby carpenter I know that oil is good for wood. It tends to be vegetable oils like linseed that are really good for wood, but I’m sure that my Castrol R was a vegetable oil at one stage.
Still, I had access to the Little Project alternator. Three cheers! It is slightly different to the one on the CB125 engine. The two photo’s below represent Little Project first and then the CB one. Can you see the difference?
How on earth can they be so bloody different? Both engines come from the same era and power the same size bike and are made by the same bloke somewhere in Tokyo.
I went back to the drawing board. I’ve photocopies of the different wiring diagrams and I’ve a manual and I’ve two wiring looms and I’ve a table in the sunshine (I should have put it away some time ago) and I’ve a large bottle of cider.
It didn’t get any easier as the glass of cider emptied. I had to fill the glass several times and gradually nothing at all became clearer.
I’ve retreated. I cast a guilty glance at the front gate that I have yet to hang and had a bad moment when the CD player insisted on making me listen to Mumford and Sons. I think I need a large gin.
Thanks for taking the time to visit. I think that there may be news of another blog coming along in the next week or so.