The anniversary blog

Well, who would have thought it.   here we are, a year on and there is still no sign of internal combustion.

I must apologise to those who have been waiting with bated breath for a Little Project update.  I am very aware that posts have been thin and far between for the last month or so.    Shall I tell you why?

You will remember.  I have pretty much all that I need to get things running.  I am waiting for some news on bits of wiring loom and the like form up north (mentioning no names Emma) but I have all these shiny bits of engine itching to go together.   The problem is that they don’t fit together.

There’s obviously a discrepancy there.   I know that they all fit together somehow.   They just don’t seem to fit together in the way they came apart.   A very nice man called Brett provided me with a pdf of the workshop manual for a CT125 and I have the Clymer manual as well.  Between them you’d think a capable chap like me would be able to figure out how to get a few bits of metal back into a crank case and then fasten it all together.   Not a bit of it.

Clymer says assemble everything in the left hand crankcase.   The workshop manual says assemble everything in the right hand crankcase.   What’s a boy to do?     I went with Clymer (mostly because the gearbox is already assembled in the left hand side.  Everything fits peachily until we get to put the kickstart mechanism in (you may have heard this before).   In it goes and then one needs several pairs of hands to try and hold it in place whilst the cranks go together.

After around a dozen times (at least I’m not getting bloody knuckles doing this) I finally managed to get everything together and put in some of the bolts that keep everything snug.    I can go up and down through the gear changes with no problem but when I turn the crank there’s a metallic clunking noise and I’m pretty sure that there should be no such noise.   It is incredibly frustrating because I think that I’m really close to having everything reassembled but until I can crack this bit, I’m going nowhere.

Regardless.   Everybody sing Happy Birthday to Little Project.   It was 12 months ago to the day that I knocked on the door of David and he said “Take the bloody thing away”.   Things have moved on considerably since then and I am determined that one day we shall be back on the road.   I probably just need a bigger hammer.

Thank you for taking the time to visit.   All being well, the next post is going to be the Honda CT125 equivalent of the Michelin calendar.   I bet you can’t wait!

The little part with no home

I bet you all think that I’ve been sitting back kicking my shoes off and relaxing over the Christmas period.

Not a bit of it.   I’ve been scratching my head, baffled over a couple of things that I do not know how they go back together.

I have a little tin.   In the tin are things that can loosely be described as “things that came out of the crankcase”.   I label them thus because as I was taking things out of the crankcases I was putting them into the little tin.

I ended up with these two chappies.

IMG_1664

both have a threaded bolt that fits perfectly into the drum with the wiggly lines in it that changes the gear.  Trouble is, there is only one hole and two bolts.

Endless fiddling and trying things in different places and looking at pictures on the internet and I now know what they are.  The bit shaped like a star is called “Cam. gear shift” and the other bit is called “Stopper.Drum”.    The reason that I couldn’t work out where they go is because they are on the outside of the crankcase rather than on the inside. The star shaped bit screws into the wiggly lined drum and the stopper then nestles it’s pretty little head into the star shaped thing.   When you change gear, by some miracle yet to be discovered, the stopper makes the star turn round and thus the gears change.  Simple when you know how!

I’m still very stuck though.   I have the kick start assembly all ready to go in.  I see where it goes and I see that it has some cogs that mesh into the gearbox.  What I don’t see is why bits of the kick start seem to rub against bits of the gearbox and I also can’t see what stops the kick start bits flying randomly around the engine as soon as everything is running.  I am totally baffled by it.   I think perhaps my only hope is to take apart another engine to see exactly how things go back together again.   I fear that this will lead to another bunch of cogs on the floor and another scratching of my head.  If there is anybody out there who has any knowledge of these at all then please drop me a line and give me some advice.

Other than that, once I’ve worked out how these bits go back together it is just a case of reassembling the engine.   It should be fairly easy to do!

Happy new year everyone.  We should be back to normal service now I no longer have to spend every weekend shopping for Christmas presents.